09 May 2007

I.S.P. Disappointment & sci.astro.amateur

Almost one week ago the newsgroup feed from my Internet Service Provider ceased. It took a few phone calls and a few days to learn what little I now know about the situation.

I've participated for several years, under one identity or another, on the unmoderated Internet Usenet group: sci.astro.amateur. My presence in sci.astro.amateur pre-dates the origin of my website. As a matter of fact, it was discussions on saa that led me to create the website.

Initial contact with my ISP indicated that they were unaware of what a newsgroup was and unaware that they had been providing the feed.

After the passage of several days I was informed that my ISP had been under the impression that they had dropped newsgroups last October! When asked if they were going to turn back on the newsgroup feed, their response was; "No."

Unfortunately, options are very limited in my rural area when it comes to ISPs. It's possible to access Usenet in other ways; but so far I've not found an alternative that I'm entirely comfortable with. So, at least for the time being, I can read postings to saa; but I'm unable to make responses.

3 comments:

Fraser Cain said...

Have you considered Google Groups? They let you post and read articles on the Usenet groups. Here's a link to sci.astro.amateur

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.astro.amateur/topics

David, Laird of Kilnaish said...

Have you tried going in through Google Groups?
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.astro.amateur/topics

Bill Greer said...

I've been using Google Groups to read saa; but I've not yet attempted to post anything via that route. The GG approach to posting, quoting, post appearance, etc. is unfamiliar territory to me. Nevertheless, sooner or later I may take that approach.

Meanwhile, a snail-mail has been sent to our ISP. We found a clause in their 'scope of service' that specifically mentions access to Usenet . . .