02 January 2008

Two Bright Comets

Date: 2 January 2008
Time: 4:30 - 4:50 U.T.
Instrumentation: Binoculars and Unaided Eye
NELM: 6.5 or better
Temperature: +3 F (-16 C)

Comet 17P/Holmes remains an easily visible naked-eye comet. I was able to immediately spot and recognize this comet with the unaided eye upon stepping outside. The view was improved with 8x42 binoculars, and improved even more with 20x80 binoculars. Comet Holmes has increased in size and become a bit more diffused in appearance since my last blog entry.

Comet 8P/Tuttle was initially spotted near the Aires - Pisces border with the 8x42 binoculars. It was better seen (as a circular haze with a brighter center) with the 20x80 binoculars. At times I suspected Comet Tuttle as being visible to the unaided eye, but I was never 100% convinced.

These observations were made from my south porch after a period of indoor dark adaptation. The floor of the Colosseum (my open-air observatory) has been coated with a layer of ice for the past couple of weeks. Thus it would be ill advised to set up a telescope at that location.

Future Plans: At present I'm inclined to make fewer blog entrees and post even fewer sketches in 2008; but one never knows for certain what the future may hold.

No comments: