29 September 2008

Polar Doubles Revisited

Last night I re-observed the double stars listed in my previous blog entry. The seeing was a bit better this time around. Sketches, with north carefully noted, were made of all five double stars. A magnification of 135x was used for all of the double star sketches.

Prior to the double star observations I trained the scope on Jupiter -- as an object to focus on prior to adjusting the scope in its cradle. Balance is more sensitive for my home-made alt-az mount than it is for my equatorial.

As the bright twilight gradually faded, more stars popped out in the vicinity of Jupiter. A sketch was made at 43x of Jupiter, its moons, and some of the background stars. The seeing varied from poor to extremely poor at this point in time, but it had improved noticeably by the time I trained the 13cm refractor on the double stars.

My work schedule prevents me from making a more detailed post or refining and uploading sketches at this point in time.

No comments: