08 February 2009

Venus & Pythagoras


The above photo shows our visiting wild turkeys on the run. I like this photo for showing some of the resemblance between wild turkeys and their T-Rex and velociraptor relatives. Really though, I felt like showing something but didn't feel like putting in the work to polish up the evening's astronomical sketches.

Venus was easily found with the unaided eye shortly before sunset. I took out the 60mm refractor and made a more careful (than last time) sketch. This time I recorded some background colors to give a better idea of the visual impression of the planet as seen in the small, low-cost telescope. I might upload a sketch later . . .

Pythagoras is a large, 130km wide lunar crater. It was prominent (and greatly foreshortened) along the terminator of this evening's gibbous moon. Pythagoras's central peak was very obvious, standing out as a bright notch in the non-illuminated portion of the crater. The nearby 144km wide crater Babbage, with Babbage A within its border, aided in positively identifying Pythagoras.

I have only one 0.965 O.D. eyepiece -- the size that fits the 60mm refractor's diagonal. Therefore I'm currently restricted to using only one magnification (28x) with this telescope.

No comments: