22 December 2006

Andromeda Revisited

Date: 22 December 2006 U.T.
Time: 2:55 - 4:06 U.T.
Telescope: 13cm refractor
Magnification: 21x
Seeing: Good
NELM: ~6.0
Temperature: +19 F (-7 C)

The sky was partly cloudy at the beginning of this session and almost totally cloud covered by the end. Once again I worked on the Andromeda Galaxy and surrounding star field. This time I was able to see the entire visible portion of the galaxy within the refractor's wide, 3.1 degree FOV.

Most of the session was devoted to marking the numerous field stars. Unlike the sketch that was uploaded with my previous posting, this time all visible stars were recorded excepting only those that I would have had to 'work at' to see.

As for the Galaxy itself, brightness variations were better recorded and dust lanes were less obvious (not that they were all that obvious earlier).

I've yet to transform the 'at the telescope' sketch into a sketch suitable for uploading. I want to try one more M31 session with the refractor in an effort to ferret out any 'hidden' details that might remain to be seen at 21x. I hope to eventually make a painting that more accurately shows the visual appearance of the three galaxies and surrounding star field. If I'm successful, this painting will be the beginning of yet another new project. If I'm not successful, I'll just have to keep on trying until I am!

No comments: