18 December 2006

The Crab Nebula


Date: 18 December 2006 U.T.
Time: 5:20 U.T.
Telescope: 30cm Newtonian
Magnification: 155x
Seeing: Bad
NELM: 6.2
Temperature: +12 F (-11 C)


The above sketch shows the Crab Nebula, also known as M1 and NGC 1952. South is up. West is to the left. The sketched field is about eleven minutes of arc wide. The Crab is located at: RA 5hr 34.5', Dec. +22 01'. The Crab is a supernova remnant - the remains of an exploded star. It's visible with small binoculars from a dark site as a tiny, faint, smudge on the background sky.

Later on this night an observation of Saturn was attempted; but seeing conditions were too poor to allow the use of reasonable magnifications.

In response to Bill Hudson's question: I use pencil on white paper at the telescope. Later I make use of the telescope sketch to make a better quality, scannable sketch. I'm still experimenting to some degree. Sometimes for the scannable image I've used pencil alone, sometimes I've also use pen. I've been posting negatives of those images to the blog. IIRC, my website only has 'positives'. There's a link to the website on my 'profile'. Thanks for your question!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill;

Bill Hudson here. I had a quick question about your sketches. Are you executing them in white on black, or are you executing them in black on white and then flipping the picture to negative?