14 December 2006

Geminid Meteor Shower

Date: 14 December 2006 U.T.
Time: 6:12 - 7:08 and 9:05 - 9:21 U.T.
NELM: 6.5 and worse (see below)
Temperature: +40 F (+4 C)
Wind: Moderate

After completing my observation of NGC 2174 (my previous posting) I spent some time looking for Geminid meteors with the unaided-eye.

From 6:12 until 7:08 U.T. I saw 102 Geminids and at least half a dozen sporadic (non-Geminid) meteors. Most of the Geminids were quite bright -- first or second magnitude. Some left trains that remained visible briefly after their parent meteors had vanished. The Geminids were relatively slow moving compared to most meteors. Their color seemed to be yellow-white. The sky remained mostly clear with a NELM of 6.5. An auroral glow reduced the limiting magnitude in selective directions; but the winter Milky Way remained visible from my northwest horizon to my southeast horizon. I took a break at 7:08 U.T.

From 9:05 until 9:21 U.T. I saw 26 more Geminids. The sky was covered with clouds, mostly thin; but in some places they were nearly opaque. The crescent moon was low in the east-southeast. The light from the brighter Geminids penetrated the clouds with ease.

No comments: