13 April 2007

A Brief Binocular Session

Date: 13 April 2007 U.T.
Time: 4:00 - 4:30 U.T.
Binoculars: 20x80 (hand-held)
Seeing: Good
NELM: 6.4 (or better)
Temperature: +29 F (-2 C)

Three relatively bright non-Messier objects were targeted this evening. The first was NGC 2403. This galaxy was very easy to see with the large binoculars. It looked like a small, distinct patch of nebulosity and was more readily visible than many of the Messier galaxies.

Next was NGC 3242 "The Ghost of Jupiter". This object is a small, but very bright planetary nebula. Through the binoculars it resembled a slightly bloated, slightly fuzzy star. The detailed charts in the Uranometria Atlas allowed for easy identification via the surrounding star field.

Last on my list was NGC 4565 "The Needle Galaxy". This well-known, edge-on, spiral galaxy was visible in the binoculars as a small, faint, elongated glow with a somewhat brighter middle.

For whatever reason, I found myself looking in the vicinity of M81 with the unaided eye. I noted the nearby star pattern as plotted on atlas charts. All of the nearby stars plotted in the Cambridge Star Atlas (2nd edition) were visible to the unaided eye. In particular, I noted 24 Ursae Majoris and the unlabeled star between 24 and M81. At times I suspected a tiny, faint glow at the exact spot where M81 was supposed to be.

I'm not positive that I saw M81 with the unaided eye on this evening; but I'll try to remember to look for this relatively bright galaxy from time to time (with the unaided eye) when conditions are favorable.

No comments: