23 January 2007

Lunar Observation - Atlas

Date: 23 January 2007 U.T.
Time: 00:01 - 00:28 U.T.
Telescope: 102mm SCT
Magnification: 94x
Seeing: Fair
NELM: Evening Twilight
Temperature: +37 F (+ 3 C)



The above sketch shows the 87 kilometer (54 mile) diameter lunar crater, Atlas. North is to the upper right. West is to the lower right. The sketch shows the mirror-reversed telescopic view. I'm still not very happy with my lunar sketches; but the only solution is more practice.

My weather this evening was (according to the Clear Sky Clock) supposed to be: Bad Seeing, Poor Transparency, 30% cloud cover, and strong wind; but the sky was clear. So I took out a small telescope for a quick lunar session.

Last night I set up the 30cm Newtonian (or as Ann referred to it: "The Big Gun") shortly before sunset; but the weather worsened and I ended up bringing the frost-covered scope back inside after several hours of waiting. The weather proceeded to improve afterwards; but by that time it was too late. I decided to get some sleep.

No comments: