25 January 2007

Theophilus - Revisited

Date: 24 January 2007 U.T.
Time: 21:15 - 22:08 U.T.
Telescope: 102mm SCT
Magnification: 72x
Seeing: Good
NELM: Daytime
Filters: Polarizing
Temperature: +52 F (+11C)


The above sketch Shows the ring mountain Theophilus which is 100km (62 miles) in diameter. Nearby is the 28km (17 mile) diameter crater Madler. North is toward the upper right. West is toward the lower right in this mirror-reversed view. The approximate location on the Moon is 11 degrees south latitude, 28 degrees east longitude.

I'm somewhat more pleased with this sketch than I've been with my other recent lunar sketches. Sometimes it doesn't take much practice to make a difference; but usually it takes more than the few (lunar sketches) that I've made this year!

I was surprised at the temperature! Several years ago I could expect temperatures in the neighborhood of minus 20 degrees F. for a week or two at some point in the December through February time-frame. Temperatures in the 50s at this time of year are kind of scary! Of course, the temperature could still drop like a rock at any time . . .

No comments: