12 January 2007

Unaided-Eye Daytime Comet!!

Date: 12 January 2007 U.T.
Time: 20:54 U.T. (1:54pm local time)
Sky Transparency: Very Good
Temperature: +9 F (-13 C)

Earlier today I posted my first daytime binocular observation of a comet -- complete with sketch. Well, I've now managed to see Comet McNaught in the daytime with the unaided-eye!

I went out (TAKING ALL NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS) and spotted Comet McNaught once more with 20x80 binoculars. This time my single goal was to try to detect the comet with the unaided-eye. Knowing exactly where to look (after the binocular observation) was critical to my success. Of course, the nearby Sun was COMPLETELY blocked from view during the observation.

Twice I suspected that I might have glimpsed the comet with the unaided-eye; but finally I was able to maintain the comet in my vision long enough to remove any remaining doubt! The comet's tiny, bright, pseudo-nucleus could be held more or less indefinitely in my unaided vision. Even a hint of tail was suspected!

I hereby declare Comet NcNaught to be a Daytime Comet to the unaided-eye!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I do believe you saw it naked eye as I expected to (if only it would clear). I saw McNaught at sunset on Jan 10 from central Ontario (45.5 deg N) and estimated it at -2.5 magnitude. I thought if it were that bright then with atmospheric extinction in play, then it should be possible in the coming days to see it naked eye. Tomorrow may be my chance. Excellent observations, by the way! Clear skies.